Town Trail

TOWN TRAIL

1. The Fountain & Dean Kinane - The fountain was erected in 1904 by the citizens of Cashel in honour of Dean Kinane. Dean Thomas Kinane was present in Cashel between 1887 and 1913.


 2. Hore Abbey - Hore Abbey was originally of the Benedictine Order. In 1272, however, Archbishop David McCarvill of Cashel, having dreamed that the monks made an attempt on his life, violently disposessed them of their house and lands. He brought the Cistercians from the important monastery at Mellifont in County Louth to found a new Cistercian Abbey and he himself took the habit of that order.


 3. Path of the Dead  - The pathway between the Rock of Cashel and the Camas Road was used as a route to take the dead from the town to their burial palce at the Rock.


 4. Rock of Cashel - The Rock of Cashel (Carraig Phádraig), more formally St. Patrick's Rock, it is also known as Cashel of the Kings. Reputedly the site of the conversion of Aenghus the King of Munster by St. Patrick in the 5th century AD.


 5. Bru Boru Heritage Centre - Brú Ború is a national cultural centre at the foot of the Rock of Cashel. This cultural village is designed around a village green and is a home to the study and celebration of native Irish music, song, dance, theatre and Celtic studies.



 6. Ladyswell - Lady's Well is named after the Virgin Mary. The holy well had been a place of local pilgrimage until the end of the 19th century. The Ladyswell Street was the Faor Green of Cashel where there were two fairs held annually in March and June for over 1,500 years. 


  7. Famine Wall - The Famine Wall was built as part of the Town Improvements carried out by the Commissioners after their law officer, Michael Doheny, won compensation from the Landlords in the years following 1842.

 


8. Dominic's Abbey - Dominic's Abbey lies to the southeast of the Rock of Cashel and was founded in 1243 by Archbishop David Mc Kelly and was dedicated to St. Dominic. David Mc Kelly is first mentioned as Dean of Cashel and then as a Dominican Friar. He became Bishop of Cloyne and in 1238 he was appointed Archbishop of Cashel. He died on 2nd March 1253 and was buried in the Chapel of the Apostles on The Rock.


9. Folk Village - The Folk Village was opened in 1984. It is the birthplace of Dr. John Lanigan D.D. (1758-1828). The museum contains many artefacts pertaining to past life in Tipperary.


 10. Back of the Pipes - The Back of the Pipes was erected by the Commissioners of Cashel in 1842 to provide a water supply to the town. At the time water was discharged through gargoyles into individual troughs. In 1986 the structure was restored and converted into a fountain.


11. Town / City Hall - The City Hall was originally a market building. For several hundred years, it was the centre of administration for the town and surrounding areas. The building is now used as a heritage centre and tourist office.


 12. Croke Memorial - The Croke Memorial was erected in 1895 as a tribute to Thomas Croke (1824-1902), who was Archbishop of cashel and Emly from 1875 until his death. The monument was originally located at the junction of Main Street and Friar Street. the cross was demolished in a traffic accident and a replica was commissioned. The monument was relocated to its current position.


 13. Kearney's Castle - Kearney's Castle is a fifteenth century castle. In the past it was used as a garrison by Lord Inchiquin's army. The Kearney family lived in the building for many years. Fr. John Kearney was hanged in the castle in 1652. The building now operates as a hotel.

 


 14. St. John the Baptist Church - Opened in 1795, Cashel Parish Church is one of the oldest Catholic churches in present day Ireland. The church was built on the site of the Franciscan Friary. The original structure was a plain rectangular building, divided into three sections at ground level, resembling the basic plan of an ancient Roman basilica. For over one hundred years the church was almost totally devoid of seating on the ground floor. The cut stone facade and the bell tower were added during the time of Dean James McDonnell (P.P. 1831-1855).


 15. Bothan Scoir - The Bothan Scoir (Peasant Dwelling) is a preserved 17th century tenant cottage dating from around 1640. It is the last of ten small farm labourer's dwelling that once stood here. Four of them were built of stone, similar to this one and had thatched roofs, the rest were made of mud and wattles. Opposite the Bothan is the 'Ducking pond', where unpleasant punishment was dished out to ladies who were guilty of unsocial behaviour.

 


16. Bolton Library - In 1729, Archbishop Theophilus Bolton was promoted to Cashel. In his will of 1744 he bequeathed around six thousand volumes to the Cashel diocese. the collection contains examples of works by Dante, Swift, Calvin, Eramus and Machiavelli. Also on display is one of the earliest English printings, a 1486 edition of one of Chaucer's works, printed by William Claxton. The books were originally installed in a long room to the west of the Palace. they were moved to their present location in the Chapter House situated in the grounds of the Catherdral Church of St. patrick's Rock and St. John the Baptist in John Street in 1836. the Building was renovated in 1986.



17. City Wall - The medieval City Wall an irregular heart-shaped area enclosing an area of about 28 acres. There is evidence of towers at the north west and south east corners, and there were also at least five gates. Canafie Gate and West Gate (or St. Nicholas' Gate) at the east and west ends of Main street; Moor gate in Chapel Lane; and on the south side of the town, Friar gate and John's Gaye located at the ends of Friar Street and John Street. It is likely that the walls belong to the late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries.


 18. The Cathedral Church - The Cathedral Church of St. John The Baptist was built to supersede the Cathedral on the Rock. the new foundations were laid in 1759 on the site of the Medieval Parish Church of St. John the Baptist. However, the building was not completed until 1784 when Archbishop Charles Agar came to see. The tower and the spire were added after the turn of teh century to a designer of Vitruvius Morrison based on a rejested drawing by Philip Gibbs for St. Martin-in-the-Fields. A model of the Cathedral in Cashel is depicted on the tomb of Archbishop Agar in Westminister Abbey.


 19. Agar's Lane - Named after it's conceiver, Archbishop Charles Agar (1735-1809), this lane was opened around 1795 to provide access between St. John the Baptist Cathedral on John Street and the new Catholic chapel built on the site of the Francscan Friary, on Friar Street. Charles Agar came from a landowning family with ties to Kilkenny.



20. Cashel Palace -  Cashel Palace was built by Archbishop Theophilus Bolton circa 1730 as his own private residence. the building was designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733). Archbishop Richard Lawrence changed the Diocese headquarters from Cashel to Waterford in 1833. the Palace and gardens were sold in 1959 and was reopened as a hotel in 1962.


Cashel Town Council have erected all over Cashel Town signs, plaques and maps to help residents and visitors find all these hidden and not so hidden treasures that Cashel has to offer.



This Site is Supported by The Cashel Chamber of Commerce, Cashel Heritage & Tourist Office and Cashel Town Council with Funding from The South Tipperary County Enterprise Board